Thursday, February 11, 2010

nixon now


The other day I was taking a quiz, and there was a quote by Richard Nixon in the text.

"Always remember others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself."

Richard Nixon, White House farewell address

I don't know very much about Richard Nixon aside from his involvement in the Watergate Scandal. I really liked this quote though, and I thought it was relevant. Relevant in how hatred can eat you from the inside out, and give power to the object of it.

When I was little, I was looking through a closet in my grandma's house and found an old box from when my Dad and Aunt were kids. It was covered inside and out with bumper stickers from a state fair so you could barely see the psychedelic green and purple flower pattern on it. It had the mildewed smell of something that was old and hadn't been in the sun for a few years, and the stickers covering it were from the 1960 election and said 'President Nixon, Now More than Ever.'

No comments:

Post a Comment