Sunday, December 12, 2010

to broadcast all our dark dreams

my friend keeps recommending that i should read about noetic science, and i want to, but my brain is currently so drained i can't sit and read, so i really haven't gotten any farther than thinking about reading about noetic science. looking up flights to dhaka is basically all i've done the past few days.

also in the past few days i've somehow burnt almost each one of my fingers, on too-hot food and candles and lighters. now they are calloused like i've been playing guitar and i can barely feel it when i type.

maybe i would be able to focus if you would stop touching me with your gaze. it's not fair to distract someone like that.


one of the reasons why so few of us ever act, instead of react, is because we are continually stifling our deepest impulses. henry miller






"Nothing remains then but the recollection of a pleasure, or the luxury of a regret. The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself, with a desire for what its monstrous law have made monstrous and unlawful. It has been said that the great events of the world take place in the brain. It is in the brain, and the brain only, that the great sins of the world take place also. You, Mr. Gray, you yourself, with your red-rose youth and your rose-white boyhood, you have had passions that have made you afraid, thoughts that have filled you with terror, day-dreams and sleeping dreams whose mere memory might stain your cheek with shame—"

“Stop!” faltered Dorian Grey, “stop! You bewilder me. I don’t know what to say. There is some answer to you, but I cannot find it. Don’t speak. Let me think, or, rather, let me try not to think.”

Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray

1 comment:

  1. I really like the comment "maybe i would be able to focus if you would stop touching me with your gaze. it's not fair to distract someone like that." I really like your writing.

    ReplyDelete