Sunday, October 24, 2010

so glad to meet you, angeles




I've been feeling pretty morose lately, partly warranted and partly unwarranted. Once someone told me it made her happier to mentally list all the good things that happened that day before she went to sleep. Here are some things I've liked lately. I hope you like them too. ok? ok. :)

1. dave eggers, "a heartbreaking work of staggering genius"
2. listening to elliott smith walking around campus and noticing all the pretty leaves. this tree by my apartment looks like it's covered in red stars.
3. looking at the the sun and understanding the seasons/position of the sun in the sky because of things i learned in astronomy
4. not feeling much pressure school-wise
5. consequently, reading books i want to read instead of the ones i'm supposed to for school
6. these words: snow, lust (in spanish- lujuria), overture, constellation
7. when my journalism teacher talks about ernest hemmingway and hunter s. thompson
8. this kid in one of my classes who goes out of his way to be helpful for no reason
9. the idea of tying sheets together to make a rope ladder to escape out a window
10. the lost feeling dave eggers articulates in a.h.w.o.s.g. to describe losing his parents: "having suddenly found oneself in a world with neither floor nor ceiling."
11. these quotes:


This writer guy, he says it's easy. You just sit down at a typewriter and open a vein. But what if you're running out of veins?

I can't find who said this, but I love it.

It is just an illusion we have here on Earth that one moment follows another one, like beads on a string, and that once a moment is gone it is gone forever.

Vonnegut

I am frightened by truth sometimes, but I need it like my own blood.

Sabrina Ward Harrison


Be deliriously happy, or at least leave yourself open to be.

Meet Joe Black

These are the days that must happen to you.

Walt Whitman

It must be those brief moments, tiny moments, like islands in the ocean beyond the grey continent of our ordinary days… there, sometimes, you meet your own heart, like someone you’ve never known.

Hans Borli

And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.

Roald Dahl

12. you. totally.

2 comments:

  1. That first quote... did you read it on "I Wrote This for You"??
    http://www.iwrotethisforyou.me/2010/10/perfect-crime.html

    If so, I think it's all original, his own words. His name is Ian, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh yeah that's it. I started reading him now, it's really beautiful. Thanks Beth

    ReplyDelete