Sunday, October 10, 2010

autumnal equinox








The sun has looked especially beautiful as it's been setting the past few days. I think it's because September 21st was the autumnal equinox. At an equinox, the Sun is at one of two opposite points on the celestial sphere where the celestial equator and ecliptic intersect. On September 22nd and 23rd the Sun was exactly vertical. I learned that in Astronomy 121. Anyway, these pictures are from two drives from Champaign to Chicago. In the first one I really liked how the city lights looked from the El, and in the next ones I liked the way the light was falling on my friend Amber's hair. She thought that in one of them her eyes looked like lasers. It was pretty enjoyable, going to Chicago together on the bus, murmuring about school and life and secretly drinking mixed drinks out of water bottles. Sometimes it surprises me how many beautiful things you can see in a seemingly boring drive through cornfields. Not really boring at all.

The best thing about the days getting shorter is the nights getting longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment