Tuesday, April 20, 2010

in our bedroom after the war

I just had lunch with a friend that I haven't seen for some time. I always like doing that; it is difficult for me to ever say goodbye to anyone, and I like it when people don't make me. We talked about books and traveling and Carl Sagan. When I started talking about school and my ambitions I realized how morose I sounded. I am so discouraged. I don't like constantly thinking about things like my place in the world, and life after death and what the point of everything is. I don't like to think about it, but I can't help it. I can't focus on what I'm doing because my mind is everywhere else. I like to think about the human body and how intricate it is, and how much of a miracle the rushing of blood in your veins and the firing of neurons seems to be. How everything going on in your body and mind is the most interesting thing I could ever imagine. Or how we are made with matter from exploded stars, how we have all sprung from the same origins and we are all connected. I like being able to write on this because it's like purging all these things that are on my mind all the time. Like the pensieve Dumbledore has. Here are some things I've seen lately that I like, I hope you like them too. Thanks for reading what I write.
Recognize that the very molecules that make up your body, the atoms that construct the molecules, are traceable to the crucibles that were once the centers of high mass stars that exploded their chemically rich guts into the galaxy, enriching pristine gas clouds with the chemistry of life. So that we are all connected to each other biologically, to the earth chemically and to the rest of the universe atomically. That’s kinda cool! That makes me smile and I actually feel quite large at the end of that. It’s not that we are better than the universe, we are part of the universe. We are in the universe and the universe is in us.
Neil deGrasse Tyson




Stéphanie: Why me?
Stephane: Because everyone else is boring. And because you're different.


Writers, especially poets, are particularly prone to madness. There exists a striking association between creativity and manic depression. Why are more creative people prone to madness? They have more than average amounts of energies and abilities to see things in a fresh and original way- then because they also have depression, I think they're more in touch with human suffering.

"We came to writing at an earlier age, from an urge to release a scream that had stuck in our throats. Then we worked on our screams until we thought they were something someone might want to hear.”
Stephen Elliott

A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.

Roald Dahl


We embarked on our journey to the stars with a question first framed in the childhood of our species and in each generation asked anew with undiminished wonder: What are the stars? Exploration is in our nature. We began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still. We have lingered long enough on the shores of the cosmic ocean. We are ready at last to set sail for the stars.
Carl Sagan


No comments:

Post a Comment