Saturday, April 3, 2010

did you tell him all your secrets?




I don't want to make this a music blog, but I have to make an exception to rave about the Headlights show I went to last night. Headlights are signed to the record label that I interned for last semester, so I was familiar with them prior to the show. 'Market Girl' has been one of my favorite songs for a long time. Their live show completely blew me away. They opened for David Bazan, but truthfully he should have opened for them. Their stage presence was phenomenal, and I was really satisfied that I had been involved (albeit in a very minor way) at the record company they are part of. This is the first time since I saw Ezra Furman and the Harpoons over the summer that a performance has made me want to listen to everything they have produced. Their modesty was obvious in the dialogue they had with the crowd in a way that made me want to be friends with them; immediately endearing. The venue was pretty full, but it was as intimate as if they had been playing in a backyard during a summer party. In the midst of their national acclaim that was rather unexpected and very refreshing. I love Midwestern people, I really do. I liked these photos of them, and their uncanny ability to capture central Illinois as a destination scintillating with intrigue and understated beauty. It is too, it's just in how you look at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment