Wednesday, April 14, 2010

déjà vu theory

déjà vu- "already seen"; also called paramnesia, from Greek παρα "para," "near, against, contrary to" + μνήμη "mnēmē," "memory") or promnesia, is the experience of feeling sure that one has witnessed or experienced a new situation previously (an individual feels as though an event has already happened or has happened in the recent past), although the exact circumstances of the previous encounter are uncertain.

I used to get déjà vu a lot- when I was a kid I remember riding my bike up a hill and being completely taken aback by the fact that I was absolutely positive I had already experienced that moment. I still get it sometimes, but I don't think I notice the feeling as being as transcendent as it used to be. I was thinking about the feeling a few years ago, and came up with an idea I really like.

Maybe God instills certain images in us before we are born- certain moments, sensations, feelings, or events that in the plan for your life are set to unfold. These are given to you as memories of things that you have not yet experienced, but if everything goes according to plan, you will.

When you get déjà vu, then, it can be taken as a sort of checkpoint- that every decision, instance, thought, action, and the compilation of every second of your life has led you up to that moment- which is where you were supposed to be. That can dispel any doubt or regret that you should've done anything differently. You are exactly where you were meant to be. Everything has occurred just as it was supposed to, and though your life may not have been perfect or as you planned it to occur, you have lived into the life you were meant for.

There isn't anywhere you can be that isn't where you were meant to be.
The Beatles

1 comment:

  1. I really really like that thought... I think I'm going to think of deja vu differently now haha :)

    ReplyDelete