Thursday, January 14, 2010

this light looks good on you

Develop interest in life as you see it; in people, things, literature, music - the world is so rich, simply throbbing with rich treasures, beautiful souls and interesting people. Forget yourself.
-Henry Miller

I job shadowed at a large corporation today. It was kind of funny seeing how big business works after I wrote a research article on independent businesses. The very things that the independent business owners were lamenting (the moving of music from vinyl and CD's to the internet, the advent of books being published digitally) were what the corporation was excited about. It was unseasonably warm today, and even though it was kind of rainy and gray I thought it was beautiful out. When you look at things a certain way they almost always seem pretty, even an overcast day of cold rain. I'm kind of moody sometimes though, and just as easily as everything can seem beautiful to me, things can deeply sadden me. That might sound vague, but it's true.

"I know people who i imagine to be able to look at the world without as much emotional upheaval as i tend to do."
-Jeff Tweedy

For a while I pretended I was in London. I wasn't upset that I was actually in Chicago though, I love it here.

I should probably invest in a nicer camera, because I'm always wanting to take pictures of things so I don't forget how stunning it seemed in the moment. Sometimes I want to take pictures of people when light hits them a certain way or they make an interesting expression. I don't usually do it though. I wish they knew when I was thinking those kind of things about them. People never know them about themselves.

On the inbound train I was listening to yankee.hotel.foxtrot. Once I burned that CD for a person from Europe and told them if Chicago had a soundtrack that might be it. When I was walking I listened to 'Gentle Hours' by Yo La Tengo. I love it; it was perfect.

I walked by Chicago Theater today. I think that might be my favorite building in the city. It was built in 1921, and whenever I look at it it seems to epitomize the hedonism and glamor of the the 20's. Once I worked outside of it, and on my break I went inside and laid down on one of the red velvet benches. I was alone, and I remember zoning out and pretending I was back in time. During the time of gangsters and speakeasies. Or in The Great Gatsby. I wondered how many hundreds of thousands of people had filtered in and out of the theater since it had been built. I wondered where they are now and how their lives are turning out.

Anyway, here our some pictures I've taken that I like. I hope you like them too.


This girl was running around in Piazza Bra in Verona playing with streamers.

This was a DJ at a club during Carnevale. I think I took a better picture of him, but I can't find it.


This is near the Adige River in Verona. It was on a bar of something that looked strangely like a prison cell, but I'm not really sure if that's what it was.


This was about a block away from my apartment in Italy. I used to go running in this park, and once I asked my roommate what this enclosure was. She said it was 'a zo.' I didn't understand what she meant at first, she said it with a short 'O,' 'zo.' I realized she meant 'zoo.' I thought that was a really cute way to pronounce it.


This is in Chillicothe during the music festival Summer Camp.


This is a picture of my best friend, Alex, when she visited U of I freshman year. I don't think she likes how she looks here, but I love it. She had just turned to look at me and I thought the sun looked beautiful on her hair. It was the first warm day of spring, a Sunday. There was evidence of the weekend's debauchery all over campus, but it was still so nice out. We walked around all day with a boombox playing Bob Dylan.


This was a street in Wrigleyville from an above ground Metro. I think it was New Year's Day.


This is in Washington, D.C. right outside of the Kennedy's old house. I love how yellow the light is in the darkening twilight. You can see the moon, too.



This is in Montreal.


This is at a party in Verona. The guy on the left is an American from my program, and the two girls on the right are Italian medical students. I love the expression of the girl in the middle.


This is the night after a big street market in Verona. I loved how the tents were still lit up even though they were closed.

My friend Chloe sent this to me the other day, and I think it's fitting.

The aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, drunkenly, serenely, divinely aware. - Henry Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment