Sunday, January 31, 2010

past the north star and straight on til morning

music festival in chillicothe

Sometimes I get so restless that I can't stop imagining getting in a car and driving across the country, leaving everything behind me. I would tour America with my best friend; stopping in small towns and reveling in the beauty and variety in the landscape. The highway would set out before us as an invitation to experience the freedom of the open road. The United States would be zig zagged through with our adventures and the friends that we make along the way; waitresses at diners and locals we met at divey bars.
my friend Annie in hungary

"All I wanted to do was sneak out into the night and disappear somewhere, and go out and find out what everybody was doing all over the country." -Kerouac
this is at my friend's house in st. augustine

Sometimes before I fall asleep I let my mind slip out of my window, into the night and through time and wherever I want to go. Through the London fog and Macchu Picchu, the outdoor markets of Kingston. Through the bayou of New Orleans and the mountains of the Sierra Nevada. With Neal Cassady and Jack Kerouac, shooting across America and unwittingly blazing the trail into a new era. In the forest outside Palo Alto with the Merry Pranksters and Ken Kesey, watching Jerry Garcia and the Grateful Dead perform at an Acid Test. To New York City in 1965; the Factory with Andy Warhol and Edie Sedgwick.
washington, dc

he calls me to the ocean
takes me wandering through the street
a restless imagination
but for now, I move my feet on the ground
yo la tengo
little bar in paris

Sometimes I want to take in everything at once, and leave the confines of my singular existence. To not be so contained within myself. I'd like to leave my isolated mind and body and dissolve into the air. To stop interacting and fighting energy and integrate myself into energy itself. My mind would spill over and the contents would disperse themselves into the atmosphere. It wouldn't be able to reel anymore; it would simply become enfolded in the life vibrating all over the universe. I want to be so fluid that I can experience the vitality and emotions of whoever I encounter, anywhere in the world at any point in time. I want to be a speck on a timeline running infinitely in both directions, skipping back and forth across it.

You realize beyond all trace of a doubt that the world is in you, and not you in the world. -Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
london

We inhale many hundreds of particles in each breath we take. Salt crystals from ocean whitecaps, dust scraped off distant mountains, micro bits of cooled magma blown from volcanoes and charred microfragments from tropical forest fires.
David Bodanis
grant park

let's leave the sound of the heat for the sound of the rain
it's easy to sleep when it wets my brain
it covers my rest with a saccharine sheen
kissing the wind through my window screen
the restlessness calls us, that I cannot hide
so much on my mind that it spills outside

animal collective

stockholm

I don't want to go to sleep.

outside my house

No comments:

Post a Comment