Monday, January 25, 2010

how can i tell you?

What is that you express in your eyes? It seems to be more than all the words I have read in my life. -Walt Whitman

Sometimes I wish my thoughts could go spilling out of my head into the air, surrounding me like confetti, where they could be seen fluttering around. So many of the things occupying my head I never find the opportunity to say, things that would often be more appreciated than the things I do feel comfortable saying. Like how impressed I am when I watch people do bio-chemistry homework, and how much admiration I have for people aspiring to be doctors. Or how intriguing I find people who listen to interesting music, or speak to their parents on the phone in a different language, or go out of their way to practice environmental sustainability even just by taking recyclables to a bin. Or how I look forward to seeing someone all day for the hour I will be sitting next to them in class, even if we don't talk. Or how someone has an eye color so captivating it is hard not to stare when they are talking to me, or a voice so melodic I wish they wouldn't stop talking. Or knowing someone very shy is immeasurably talented and wanting to tell them how spectacular I think they are, and that they should be less shy so everyone can see it. I am thinking of specific people and instances, but qualities like this jump out to me from people like neon colors on a page. I wish people knew when I thought these things about them, because I do, all the time. I think that other people see these things too, and they are simply never said. You've probably never heard some of the nicest sentiments that people are thinking, because they don't know how to say it. People probably notice it about you every day.

Your light is seen, your heart is known, your soul is cherished by more people than you might imagine…If you knew how many others have been touched in wonderful ways by you, you would be astonished. If you knew how many people feel so much for you, you would be shocked…You are far more wonderful than you think you are… Rest with that. Rest easy with that. Breathe again. You are doing fine. More than fine. Better than fine. You’re doing great. So relax. And love yourself today.
-Neale Donald Walsch
I remember every word that you said; I'm much more flattered by the thoughts in your head.
david vandervelde

No comments:

Post a Comment